Daala video compression
Daala is the code-name for a new video compression technology. The effort is a collaboration between Mozilla Foundation, Xiph.Org Foundation and other contributors.
The goal of the project is to provide a free to implement, use and distribute digital media format and reference implementation with technical performance superior to h.265.
- Next generation video: Introducing Daala
- Introducing Daala part 2: Frequency Domain Intra Prediction
- Introducing Daala part 3: Time/Frequency Resolution Switching
- Introducing Daala part 4: Chroma from Luma
- Daala: Painting Images For Fun (and Profit?)
git clone https://git.xiph.org/daala.git
We have a Quickstart
Guide to help you get the code built and running.
Development discussion takes place in
#daala on irc.freenode.net.
And on the email@example.com mailing list (archives)
For overall progress and goals see daala notes on the Xiph.Org wiki.
For some of the ideas we've worked on, see Tim's presentation slides, "An Introduction to Video Coding", from the Auckland meeting in January, 2012. Video recordings of the presentation are also available, but unfortunately not for the first part day.